Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Anchored in the Port of Galleons


A little more than three hours away from the hustle and bustle of the metro life is the anchorage that the Spaniards called Puerto Galera or the ‘port of the galleons’. With its deep natural harbour, it was the favoured marina of the Spanish when they arrived in 1572. Nowadays, Puerto Galera becomes the haven for those who wanted to escape and to wander.

Arriving in Puerto Galera, I was captivated by the various shades of blue of its waters and skies. The lush green and the purple mountains sheltered its bays and coves. The white sand beaches stretched for miles where yachts, outrigger boats, and fishing boats docked.

Soon, I was running towards the ivory shoreline of White Beach where people were lounging under the sun. The chilly yuletide breeze kissed my skin as I stripped off to my bathing suit. I brought out my beach towel and laid down on the sand. As I let the warmth of the sun toast every inch of me, I looked ahead to the sea where boats docked. Up above, the rainbow colours of the parachute struck a beautiful contrast against the blue sky as it glides through the air. Farther away, I heard the lilt to the peoples’ voices as they talked to each other. I was completely charmed.


For a solitary wanderer like me, it was indeed a place to spend the remaining days of the year reflecting and gearing up for the challenges of the year that beckons. And nothing starts a year right than a long leisure walk because Puerto Galera isn’t only about the beaches. To discover it, one has to meet its people, breathe in the grandeur of its mountains, taste its bounty and feast on its eccentricities.


People woke up early in town and I met some of them along the 2.5-kilometer road from White Beach to Talipanan Beach. Accustomed to tourists, a warm smile was always a welcome greeting as I passed them by. One of them called on me to sample her dalandan which she sold at 25 pesos per kilo. The fruit was so sweet and juicy that I loaded three kilos of them in my backpack, much to the delight of the seller. 


With the extra weight, I huffed and puffed my way and was rewarded by the majestic sight of towering Mt. Malasimbo with its peak peeking out from behind the morning fog. I stayed long enough to soak in its splendor before I headed off towards Talipanan Beach.


Tweeting birds and waves rushing to the shore were the only sound that filled the morning air. It was a far cry from the crowded and rowdy White Beach. Adding to the eerie feeling were some dilapidated and abandoned buildings with graffiti painted on their walls.


Further along the beach, boats of different sizes lined up its shore. They ranged from small fishing boats to large newly-built outriggers. I was particularly drawn to one outrigger bearing the Galerian Lines insignia of a galleon, one of my favourite ships.


It was indeed a symbol of a distance worth traveled. I weighed my anchor and set sail towards the New Year. Ahoy 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment