Friday, August 8, 2014

La Garderie

In a popular neighborhood in the city of lights, a sweet and gentle soul opens his humble abode to the traveler who wants to experience Paris through the vibrancy of its youth. Meet Solen, my new friend and my host. His cool blue eyes and warm smile as he shook my hand for the first time reflected the place he considered as home away from home. 



You'll know from the moment you step at his place that it was unlike any apartment. Written on the walls are personal messages by people he welcomed and shared his city life with. Ladies and gentlemen, you have entered Solen's garderie of friends. 



Coming from a culture which is known for its incredible hospitality, it was indeed a surprise to meet someone whose openness and trust surpassed mine. Evidently, he had allowed several people to sleep on his couch,  cook in his kitchen, eat on his table, wash their laundry and so on. "Why do you do this?", I asked. Wearing a smile he answered, "It is one of the best ways to meet people from around the world and learn from them."

Soon, he was asking me about Philippines, about my home and my people. As an artist, he began to take interest with the music and the art of my country hence when we ate and talked about Filipino food, original Pinoy music played in the background and broke the language barrier between us. It was subtle and I realized that I was lost in the charm of a seasoned host.


So seasoned that he makes it his advocacy to host artists to perform in Paris through squatting places for them to share their talent and their music with an audience craving for the fresh and the unconventional. One night, he tagged me and some of our friends along to see the different side of Paris where art plays a great role in the community. Never had I seen so much passion in a man as Solen meticulously explained each work of art along Belleville.

As I said my farewell, I knew that this young man would always leave a message marked on my heart. Everything all around us is beautiful and the most beautiful fact about life is the connection we have with each other.

Merci, Solen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment