Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Surf Up in Dahican: My 28th Birthday Splash

The Amihan Surfer's resort face the winds blowing from the Pacific in Dahican, Mati, Davao Oriental.

It was two days before my 28th birthday and what did a fun-motivated, goal-driven woman do to usher this momentous event in her life? Well, I decided to turn over a new leaf and dared to try on surfing. 

My adventure began from the hustle bustle of Cotabato City where I am currently based for work to the durian city of Davao where I stocked up on sunscreen with a 75++ SPF and bought a pair of pink Speedo board shorts. Yes, I needed these stuffs not only to prepare my skin for the harsh summer sun and to make sure I look like a surfer girl but also to give myself a bit of a cheer. My nerves were shooting up and down with anticipation as well as apprehension.

Twelve-year old Ar-Ar patiently waits for the right wave to ride in Amihan Surf Resort.

After a restful overnight sleep which I forced myself to have, I carried my enormous backpack and skipped on a bus from Ecoland terminal that would bring me to the southern tip of Davao Oriental. Five hours of waiting somehow calmed my nerves and I began to hear reggae songs playing in my head. It was a good sign and I knew then that it would be more fun than I could ever hope for. 

Off Ar-Ar goes to catch the perfect wave to skim in Amihan Surf Resort.

I arrived in Mati City at two in the afternoon and after a short nap, I decided to take a peek of the famous surfer's village of Dahican particularly in the Amihan surf resort where the best local surfers hang out. It was about 20 minutes of motorcycle ride from the city. 

And there it was, the long stretch of creamy white sand beach that welcomed the rushing waves made by the strong blows of the wind from the Pacific Ocean. I stood there lock-jawed and totally overwhelmed. Though it was still a few months before surfing season, the waves were good enough for the Dahican local surfers and skim boarders to catch and ride on. It was quite a frenzy as several of them simultaneously take on the waves; providing the non-surfers quite a show with their undeniable great skills on catching a good wave, balancing on the board and riding the surf. 

The youngest of the Amihan boys, Longlong skims the beach easily for a 6-year old.

Most of them were boys and young men. The youngest of them was Longlong who when I asked was just 6 years old. The oldest are still just in their twenties. And it was indeed my luck because among them was the best surfer and skim boarder in town, 21-year old Bayogyog Aporbo who had already proven his excellence in various competitions ranging from local to international.

Bayogyog Aporbo expertly rides through a wave in Dahican, Mati, Davao Oriental.

Unlike other surfers there, Bayogyog seemed to be one with the waves. When he started to do what he does best, I couldn't help but follow his every move. Yes, he was very smooth. Every move was done in perfection. So much so that even his fellow surfers and skim boarders sometimes took a break just to watch him ride wave after wave. I admit that watching him glide easily added to the courage that I was already building up for the next day's surfing lessons and application.

Bayogyog Aporbo (left) and a fellow skimboarder show off acrobatic skills in riding the waves.

The morning after, I donned my rashguard and board shorts and headed back to Dahican. I was ready and so was my instructor, MacArthur. It was not his real name but hey, to each his own, right? With dreadlocks on his hair and a wide smile on his face, I couldn't ask for more for a surfing instructor. Bob Marley songs played in my head again and I smiled back. 

Surfing instructor, McArthur waxes the surfboard in preparation for the surfing lessons in Amihan surf resort.

With an ease of a beach bum, he taught me the basics. First, lie down facing the board with legs drawn together. Palms must be laid flat on the side of the chest and head and eyes straight ahead. He told me that when he says "Ready", I must fold my right leg so that my sole touches the side my left knee. And when he says "Up", I must slowly push myself up with my hands and squat on the board with my left leg in front of my right and with my hands stretch out slightly on the side for balance. Upon reaching the beach, put more weight on the back of the board to slow it down for the easy jump on the side for landing. After ten minutes of practice, we were set to go. 

The writer takes a memento of her surfing lesson in Amihan Surf Resort, Mati City, Davao Oriental.

As I was tying the leash on my leg, I assured myself that it was going to be easy breezy. How difficult could it be?

Before heading out, a surfer must tie a leash that connects her to the surfboard for easy retrieval.

But as I rode on the board and started to paddle, the waves seemed bigger and stronger and I felt the sudden kick of fear in my mind. As if sensing the change in me, McArthur began whistling a familiar tune: Bob Marley's Three Little Birds. I giggled and joined him singing "Don't worry about a thing coz every little thing is gonna be alright". 

McArthur guides his student towards the waves. 

And soon we were there where the surf starts to break and while we waited for the right wave, McArthur incessantly pepped me up. Suddenly, he shouted "Ready!" and I moved into position, breathe in and out and focused on his instructions. He said, "Ma'am, don't forget to keep your mouth closed". 



My laugh was drowned by the sound of the wave coming and suddenly I was being pushed towards the beach. "Uppppppppp!", I heard McArthur from the distance and with the determination to perfect my first ride, I pushed myself up, folded my knee to squat and balanced myself on the board.


I rode smoothly on the wave and it was indeed like floating on cloud nine. But just like every fleeting moment, the ride was soon over. "Dowwwwwwwwwwnnnnnn.....", McArthur shouted and I leaned at the back of the board to slow it down and eased myself down the water. As soon as I hit the water, I felt it rushed down my throat. This did not hinder me from jumping up and down, fists up in the air and shouting Yes! 


Oh yes, I did it! I braved the surf of the Pacific! 

It was an hour of smooth and clumsy rides but as a learning wanderer, I knew that ups and downs form the foundation of the process. And just like the waves coming home to Dahican everyday, I promised myself to come back and do better.

Happy birthday, brave girl. I am proud of you. 

Here, let me be your guide and take you to Dahican: 


No comments:

Post a Comment