Friday, October 18, 2013

The Hearts of Paris: A Reflection on Love

Chains and padlocks are displayed at the railings of the bridge in Pont de L'archeveche, Paris.

I chanced upon this bridge when I was strolling with friends in the city of Paris. It is popularly-known as the Lovers’ Bridge where a multitude of padlocks of different sizes, styles and shapes was attached to the metal railings of the bridge. For lovers who pledged their love to each other, the padlocks symbolized their eternal and everlasting love. Throwing the keys to the river Seine after represented the unbreakable bond between them.

But is this really what true love means? Can a padlock embody love? If taking its figurative sense, does undying love entail one to be endlessly devoted to someone? Does it also mean that love is too powerful to be broken?

I don’t believe so. A very special friend told me this sometime ago: Love is one great adventure. You’ll never know how it starts or how it ends. You have no control of the other person because to love someone is to love the freedom he or she possesses as an individual.

As for me, I don’t set out in this world to seek love that I locked up. I am constantly smitten by people who love their individuality: those people who love themselves first and most. These are individuals who know what they want and know how to get it, those who speak their minds, those who influence and make change, those who confront challenges and realities. They have their own dreams, hopes and aspirations and they keep on moving day by day to make these happen. I love them because they are the ones who inspire me to open my mind, boost my capacity to learn and encourage loving myself more so that I could love others freely.


As love is an adventure, one must also be confident in his or her capability to cope with its twists and turns, ups and downs and the whole 360-degree pivots and dangerous backflips. One of my favourite authors, Paulo Coelho wrote, “Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused.” Therefore, we must be able to embrace love in all its fragility and its constant risks. And above all, we must understand that at the heart of loving is freedom; the liberty to be ourselves. 

A father and his daughter checks out the various styles, shapes and sizes of the padlocks at the Lover's Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment