Sunday, June 2, 2013

Positive Reinforcement: The Breakfast of our Little Champions

"Swimmers, take your mark!" I can feel the blood pumping and rushing to my head as I waited for the single beep that would start the competition. I focused my eyes on the clear blue water of the pool and the colorful lane lines that led to the end. I held my breath and as I heard the beep, I rose to my feet and shouted, "Go Ishi!" "Go Lara!" My yells were lost when the rest of the crowd went wild as the swimmers sliced through the water and raced towards the finishing line. This was the frenzy that parents and relatives of novice swimmers created during the Southern Mindanao Swimming Association's Novice Meet in Paraiso Verde Resort and Water Park in Koronadal City on June 1, 2013. 

Watching my nieces, Ishi, 10 and Lara, 8 donned training caps and swimsuits representing the
Jeorgetown Swim Club in the meet was heartwarming enough. But watching them prove their endurance and strength in the 25-meter freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke as well as in the individual kickboard and relay events, deserved most of my adoration and respect for these girls. With just a month of training, they braved the competition with hesitation that they may fail at first. And I salute my sister, their Nanay Sherly for encouraging both of them that it is not about winning; it's about gaining experience and learning from the event. This, plus the enduring patience of their coaches and of course, the wavepool and the tour of the city factored in building their confidence to join the swimming meet. 

It was a long day with 170 swimmers and 13 heats for every event and it almost took its toll on my nieces but our support and encouragement helped them made it through the day. As I massaged Ishi's back and made her laugh with my quips, I remembered how my parents used to encouraged us to work hard and do our best in everything we do because learning comes with it. When you fail, you know you did your best and when it's time to push yourself again, you know what to do to achieve your goals. Positive encouragement, this is what it is called. And this was what their coaches, their teammates and most of all, their parents did to bring home the bronze. 

No comments:

Post a Comment