Sunday, November 11, 2012

More than Just a Playground

As I watched the children frolic at the beach and the warm waters of that late afternoon, I silently touched the fine white sand I was sitting on and felt the rushing waves nipping at my feet. Everything overwhelmed my senses. The sound of the waves breaking in to shore, the scent of the ocean, the feel of the breeze on my skin and the sound of laughter and conversations filled me up just like the old days. This place used to be my playground, my source of unadulterated joy and freedom. However, as I reflected on how it firstly greeted me earlier that day, I wonder if I am still welcome to feel its warmth. 


Temporarily closed. This is the sign that greeted me as I approached. Barbed wires surrounded my playground and a closed gate warded off unauthorized people to enter it.

We've been warned about this before thus, we bore an authorization from the vice-mayor of our hometown to let us enjoy the place. 


However, seeing the sign and the barricade for the first time still brought a pain that every unwelcome child feels. It took me a moment to let the reality sink in. Just when I started to feel sad, the sound of the waves engulfed me and the warmth of the blowing wind eased the gloom away. Suddenly, I began to feel the familiar tug; the beach pulling me towards it. 


As I sat down and watched my nieces and nephews indulged in its waters and played with its sand, I remembered that I used to do the same with total abandon. Those were good and carefree moments of a child.

But as a grown-up, you began to look beyond the surface, ask questions and find the answers. How come that such a beautiful sanctuary, a perfect place made for fun and reflection was now closed and restricted to most people? Doesn't everybody deserve the comfort of paradise in their busy and hurried lives? Doesn't every child deserve such a majestic playground? 


I stood up and decided to take a walk along the beach to clear my mind. The kids, however ran after me and joined me in my walk. Their lively chatter about finding fish, crabs, snails and starfish trapped in the water pools in the rock formation at the other side of the beach filled me up with the same excitement when I was as young as them and suddenly these questions were forgotten. 

I joined them as they sought for treasures they could find; their shrills and giggles filled the air. Among other adults, I answered their questions about the sea creature they found and reminded them not to take the fish and crustaceans out of the water. 

Moving my camera lens down to take pictures of the sources of their fascination, I found something that provided the answers to those temporarily forgotten questions. 

A slipper was washed in along by the waves to the water pools. It was well-worn and was obviously thrown to the water as trash. I could not stop feeling disappointed and angry for such an irresponsible act. As I calmed myself down, I was about to realize that the feeling of disappointment, frustration and anger had just began.

Retracing my steps, I took time to explore every nook and cranny of the beach. However, in that certain time, I wasn't looking for treasures. I was looking for answers and I didn't have to dig for them for they were laid down in plain sight. 




The sand was littered by garbage. Empty bottles and plastic wrappers of junk food and candies were left by beach-goers without a care. This was how they repaid the free reception the beach offered. 

Yes, this was an open beach that welcomed everyone without payment in return. It used to be a playground for every child and a haven for every person. 

It was then that I fully absorbed and understood the necessity of closing it down to most people. However, what I couldn't fathom was the fact that no one picked the garbage up and cleaned the beach. 

The sign did say, "Temporary closed. Development On-Going". I would rather have a sign saying, "Open for Saving". 

This is not merely a post. This is more of an advocacy. 

Kalamansiguenos, let us take that sign down, flock to the beach and clean it up. And more than that, let us encourage everybody most especially our local decision-makers to create an ordinance and fully-implement policies on the protection of our natural environment. 

Because this beach is more than just a playground. It is Home.





No comments:

Post a Comment